Why everyone should use Korean sheet masks
In recent years, Korean skincare products have come to the fore in many western skincare regimes. BB creams and essences are just a few examples of these new age innovative products from the Korean skincare and beauty scene. In the same vein, Korean masks have completely revolutionised face masks as we know them! Unlike traditional masks, Korean beauty masks are not applied to your face in the form of a paste. They consist of a soft and supple sheet that is placed on your face which is saturated with multiple beneficial ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, snail mucin, collagen and various other ingredients (depending on your chosen mask). These ingredients and then soaked up by your your skin via what is known as an "osmotic gradient" making your skin feel soft and nourished.
Although you may get the odd comment about looking like a ghost or being ready to be cast in the next season of The Haunting of Hill House, the sheet masks do work wonders on your skin! The results are nothing short of sepectacular and it is therefore no surprise that Korean sheet masks have taken the world of facial masks by storm.
South Korea is a trendsetter in the field of sheet masks
It is clear that most sheet masks used in the West come from Korea. In South Korea itself these masks belong to the basic products that every woman uses to care for her skin and look good .It is therefore no surprise that K-Beauty is really trending.
Are sheet masks being hyped in the West?
By using sheet masks, care products can penetrate deep into the skin. Because the skin is covered, the penetration of the product is increased. They are perfect as an addition to moisturizing and anti-wrinkle products. You can also use them as additional protection against sunburn.
What are sheet masks actually?
Sheet masks are manufactured in the shape of the human face. The materials from which they are made are soaked in nutrients of essence. The sheet mask itself maybe be made from a wide range of materials such as paper, fibers and gel. Sheet masks are packaged individually.
How does a sheet mask work?
A mask is usually completely soaked in concentrated essence that consists of beneficial products such as hyaluronic acid and vitamins. These substances are soluble in water. The blade ensures that these products are retained in the mask on a water basis. Thus the active ingredients do not evaporate prematurely and they can slowly but surely penetrate the skin. In this way sheet masks work much better than traditional forms of essence.
The benefits of sheet masks
Sheet masks bring the best of your own skin to the surface. Because of the vitamins and minerals they contain, your skin will not dry out. This is the most frequently heard compliments about conventional skin masks. Sheet masks ensure that the essence gets more time to pull into your skin. Your skin becomes clearer. You can compare the effect of these masks with a treatment in the wellness.
Do sheet masks have any negative properties?
Sheet masks nourish your skin. They have no cleaning properties. You need conventional masks for that. In addition, you have to be careful with cheap sheet masks of poor quality. At Body and Seoul we have curated the best sheet masks.
From which materials are the sheets made?
The sheets are made of different materials. Sometimes it concerns non-woven textiles. This material is cheap, not very mobile and absorbs insufficiently for the serum to do its job. Cotton is also used. It has the same drawbacks as non-woven textiles, but the quality is already a bit better. Hydrogel is also used. This is a somewhat more expensive material. It is also not mobile, but fits well with the shape of the face. The absorption of this is good. There is also bio-cellulose. This is expensive, but pure nature. This material absorbs better and is comfortable on the skin. It ensures good mobility.
How do you use sheet masks?
Sheet masks are easy to use. Make sure you clean your face first and apply toner. You remove them from the packaging and put them on your face for 20 to 30 minutes. Here's how to use sheet mask the right way:
- Cleanse your skin.
- Apply toner. (Toner deep cleanses your skin and preps your skin to absorb the next step.
- Tear open the pouch at the top and slowly pull out the mask.
- Unfold the mask and place it on your face, aligning the holes with your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Use the excess essence in the pouch and the mask to apply on your neck, décolletage, elbow, knees and hands. Those essences are good for your skin so don’t let any go to waste!
- Lie down and relax for about 20-30 minutes with the mask. It’s up to you if you want to go longer or shorter.
- When you are ready, just peel off the mask and discard. Look at your skin in the mirror. It should look brighter and slightly more plump due to the moisture it just absorbed. Also, touch your skin. It should feel velvety smooth.
- There is no reason for you to wash off the essences because it is good for your skin! You can either fall asleep knowing you gave your skin a real treat or if you are heading out for the day, apply eye cream and moisturizer. Remember to apply sun protection on during the day time.